In 1936 John Ernest Lawrence set up a haulage business for the purpose of transporting milk churns from farms in Pembrokeshire to local dairies.
During the war years, the business was involved in the transportation of construction materials to airfields near the Pembrokeshire coast, and following the war the business began to operate as a coal merchant at Clarbeston Road where the company still has its base.
The coal business continued to be successful until oil became widely available, and in 1953 the business became a distributor of Regent (later Texaco) fuel.
J.E. Lawrence soon developed into the booming agricultural machinery business, and the business became a New Holland dealer in 1955.
The business was incorporated in 1957, and in 1959 Ernest Lawrence’s son John joined the company on completion of his apprenticeship with New Holland at Stonehouse. John inherited the Managing Director's role in 1973, and continued to expand both the oil and machinery businesses until the role was passed on to his son Richard in 2001.
Richard has worked for the company since 1983. He completed an agricultural engineering apprenticeship followed by transport management training and in recent years he has led the company into the leisure and groundcare machinery markets for the first time.
The company has continued to develop its core businesses to the present day. The agricultural machinery department has concentrated on innovative and high quality products, adding the JCB agricultural range to its franchises in 2008, and currently the oil department has ten tankers delivering fuel to homes and businesses in Pembrokeshire, West Carmarthenshire and South Ceredigion.